Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Thank you Crossfit and Thanks, Crossfit

Thank you, Crossfit & Thanks, Crossfit have 2 different meanings to me. 

There are probably multiple times per week when I think to myself, "Thank you, Crossfit". This is said with the utmost sincerity & appreciation for helping me to be a better me. It's said when I accomplish a goal, PR or feel like I'm in some kind of magical fitness zone.

Then there are times where I think, "Thanks, Crossfit". This is usually muttered under my breath, with an added eye roll and with a loud huff & puff. You can imagine some choice 4-letter words that come along with those eye rolls at times. 

I've written about how Crossfit has helped me not care about the number on the scale HERE. This is probably one the loudest, "Thank you, Crossfit"s I could say!

But then I've written about how the very same sport had made me cry HERE. Don't worry, no tears have been shed since that dark October day even though I still stare at those rings like the new $158 Ruffled Lulu Scuba Hoodie or Wagyu beef, or whatever the most ridiculous, mouth watering, crave-able thing is right now. And yes, that's right Lulu actually has a $158 sweatshirt...that people sweat on. 

Some of the things that make me say, "Thank-you, Crossfit" are:

1. Being able to do any activity imaginable with my family/friends, especially keeping up with my 2 year old. 

2. The mental strength that has come with the constant state of discomfort during WODs. 

3. The muscles, good lord the muscles! I admit sometimes I check out my back muscles in the mirror, try to catch a glimpse of my biceps while carrying something heavy or notice muscles in my legs I didn't know existed. I've always been thick, but I enjoy this thickness much more than before :)

4. Being able to wear pretty much whatever I want (age appropriate) in my 30s & after having a baby, including a bikini. Maybe it's vain, but whatev. I thank CF for it. 

5. My overall health is insanely better. Body fat, lean muscle mass, cholesterol, triglycerides. You name it, it's better. This is a big deal to me. After being given a second chance, I swore I'd do what I could to make the most of it & this is a reminder that I'm doing just that. 

6.  Friends. I've met some of the greatest, most encouraging people that have helped me push some limits I didn't think possible, picked me up on a bad day & just know how to work hard & have fun!

7. A general sense of accomplishment.  I've done things I never thought possible.  Before CF I had never even done one unassisted pull-up in my life.  Ever.  Not even as a kid.

On the other side of the tracks, these are the things that make me say, "Thanks, Crossfit":

1. Not being able to wear most dresses that have a side zipper. Girls will feel my pain. Our lats are wide & our waists are small(er) & that combo doesn't work for side dress zippers. 

2. The booty gap in jeans & the fact that our thighs & calves are likely bursting out of our skinny jeans, all while the gap around our waist gets bigger & bigger...that is if we can actually still wear skinny jeans. 

3. Not wanting to shake anyone's hand (especially at work) for fear that they'll feel the "man hands" that have developed over hundreds, maybe thousands of pull-ups, toes to bar, snatches & cleans. 

4. There is no feeling of defeat like that of a WOD that mentally gets in your head. 

5. The worst CF pain known to man, which forces you to call for your husband, wife, roommate or dog to help wash your hair after you've ripped hands.

6. Finding chalk everywhere.  In the car.  In your hair.  On all of your clothes.  On your face.  Under your nails.  Everywhere.

7. Setting goals & not meeting them. *cough* muscle-up. 

Crossfit has given me some of the highest highs & lowest lows, but I wouldn't change a thing. And now, I say "Thank you, Crossfit" for both!

These are only a few thoughts that I've had couped up, there are many more. What I really want to know is what makes you say, "Thank you, Crossfit" or "Thanks, Crossfit"?

No comments:

Post a Comment