Saturday, March 28, 2015

Week 1 Closes with Fresh Perspective

I've decided to DO SOMETHING THAT MATTERS.  I have accepted a nomination to run in the 2015 Leukemia & Lymphoma's Woman of the Year Campaign, where I've set a goal of raising $50,000 to fuel LLS research, patient services, advocacy, public and professional education, and community services as well.

I've decided to do this because of my personal experiences.  As most of you know, on March 14, 2009 my life changed.  I was diagnosed with Stage 2A Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymph nodes.  On August 19, 2009 it changed again when I finished 6 months of Chemotherapy & 8 weeks of radiation and was found to be CANCER FREE! 

~2 weeks after finishing my treatments Jimmy & I got married.  My hair was fake, my chest was burnt from the radiation, the wind blew my veil like crazy-but there's NOTHING that could have ruined that day considering what we had just been through.  Please help me give those days to more people by donating here:

I've decided to use my blog as a way to build awareness, provide updates & capture these moments & feelings forever...please follow me on this journey!  Here's our update from week 1 of 10:

We've had an incredible week 1 & this is a great opportunity to say THANK YOU to everyone who is participating to Do Something That Matters!
I'd like to take a minute to talk about the most incredible part of this journey thus far and that is the awesome group of people that step up to the plate to make a difference.  When you decide to embark on such a crazy/incredible journey such as the one I have, you know that your family & close friends will support you...or at least you hope they will.  

In my case, they've definitely done exactly that & more than I could have ever imagined.  My team in Cincinnati is filled with Professionals with demanding jobs who travel a ton, and families with kids, people who have a million other things to be doing - but are choosing to dedicate their time to doing something that matters.  The owner of the gym I go to (NewCov CF) & my friend, Emily, offering to put on a nationwide competition to help me reach my goals, 2 local writers, Fort Thomas Matters & Patrick McCarty, offering to spread the word of my campaign, the list goes on- You have all shown me what it's like to be selfless, caring and a true friend.  Thank you!
A Team That Won't Stop!
None of my family actually lives in Cincinnati, but everyone is helping.  From PA to Vegas down to South Texas & New Orleans.  There's something coming from all of you!  How amazing is that?  Not to mention my Valley Girls.  The girls I've been friends with for 20-25 years!  These girls are hosting events in PA & VA for me among the craziness of everyday life.  What more could I ask for?!
Even though you know they'll help - you still can't fathom the magnitude of effort everyone will give.  It's insanely humbling and overwhelming that people will go to these lengths to help you reach your goals.
What you don't quite expect are the 3 figure donations, Facebook messages asking how they can help & notes of encouragement from strangers who have read your story & are inspired to Do Something That Matters.  These acts take this campaign to a whole new level.  When you can inspire one person to do something to help cure Blood Cancers you feel like you've conquered the world - but you haven't.  Cancer still exists & until it's gone we need to keep inspiring & pushing to raise money for organizations like LLS.
It's ALL of these people that make me want to push upward and beyond my goal of $50,000.  It's because of these people that we're off to such a strong start.  It is THIS TEAM that will do big things together. Together this team will beat our goal of $50,000.
Also, this team of 11 candidates (my competition) will help to cure blood cancers & Do Something That Matters throughout the 9 remaining weeks.
Thank you all for being on my team and being my competition - becasue together we are coming together to do something that matters.
Please consider a donation as your way of Doing Something That Matters!  Click to DONATE!!!
Here's our list of upcoming events - please reach out with interest or to buy tickets:

Kristin
#thismatters

No comments:

Post a Comment